Frequently Asked Questions

I have questions about naturopathic medical school.

Click on each question to reveal answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. Don’t see your question here? Email us at

IN THE US: The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) maintains a database of all AANP-member NDs that are searchable by location. Click here to find a doctor near you. You can also search by your naturopathic state association.

IN CANADA: The Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND) maintains a database of member NDs. Click here to find a doctor near you. You can also search by your provincial naturopathic association.

Licensed medical professionals may qualify for advanced standing. It is best to meet with an admissions counselor to understand how your academic and clinical experience fits with the academic and clinical curriculum at each school. Admissions counselors may recommend that you send transcripts and course descriptions from your time of attendance to get started. A school representative will then conduct a transfer evaluation and report back on the anticipated course of study. Courses transfer based on equivalent 1) course content 2) classroom and lab contact hours 3) a grade of C or above in the course. Occasionally, students may be required to take a challenge exam for course credit. Click here to start your conversation with admissions representatives at the school(s) of your choice.

If your purpose in studying naturopathic medicine is to become a practicing, primary care naturopathic physician, then you will have to complete the curriculum at an accredited school and pass the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Examination (NPLEX). Accredited naturopathic medical education includes hands-on classroom and laboratory coursework and clinical courses at supervised academic medical centers. AANMC member institutions are accredited or a candidate for accreditation by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education (at this time the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education is the only agency recognized by the US Department of Education).

Graduates of unaccredited correspondence programs are not recognized as naturopathic doctors in any jurisdiction that regulates naturopathic physicians and are neither qualified nor eligible to sit for NPLEX, so they have no means of becoming licensed naturopathic physicians in the US or Canada.

Click here for more information regarding online degrees.

The naturopathic doctor (ND) title is regulated in the United States and Canada in the following jurisdictions. Click here to learn more about licensure.

The AANMC does not track acceptance of naturopathic degrees obtained outside of the United States and Canada. However, in order to become licensed in the United States and Canada, you must pass the naturopathic physicians licensing exam (NPLEX). Graduation from one of the AANMC member schools is required in order to be eligible to take the NPLEX exam. The North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners (NABNE) administers NPLEX and can respond to further inquiries.

To learn more about the possibility of advanced standing, see FAQ #2.

US and Canadian trained NDs practice and thrive outside of the United States, however, it is advised to contact each country you are considering moving to, to understand their requirements, as they may differ significantly across the globe. To learn more about naturopathic medicine worldwide, visit the World Naturopathic Federation.

Don’t see your question here? Email us at