Guest post by the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
Naturopathic medicine has made tremendous strides since 1919 when Washington became the first state to license NDs, but some things remain the same: genuine patient-centered care, adherence to the unique guiding principles and therapeutic order that define our profession, and the commitment to restoring health over managing symptoms.
Journey with us through time at AANP 2019, the Annual Convention as we celebrate the past, present, and future of naturopathic medicine. Get a glimpse of this incredible journey through time in the 60,000 square foot exhibit hall as we celebrate how far we’ve come as a profession and envision where we will go. As you walk through the hall’s seven stations, you’ll get to:
- Celebrate the first licensure law, passed by Washington State in 1919 – the Regulation of Drugless Healing
- Visit the Foundation of Naturopathic Medicine timeline
- View historical picture galleries archiving the deep roots of Naturopathic Medicine
- Project into the future how naturopathic medicine will steadily become a household name, and more!
As you continue to stroll through the hall, over 100 vendors will showcase their products and services. If you’re in need of a break during the Convention, you will be able to enter the three themed self-care rooms, provided by National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM). One room will feature relaxation modalities such as massage and acupuncture, the second will offer quiet meditation like yoga or Qigong, and the third will feature self-care practices such as herbal tea, sound therapy, and aromatherapy. In addition, the grand exhibit hall will feature interactive stations such as a self-powered smoothie bike, nutritional cooking demonstrations, and a multi-sensory herbal experience.
Additional Convention highlights:
- The closing NMC Summit on the Future of Naturopathic Medicine will take place Wednesday, August 14.
- Attendees will learn from over 47 expert speakers in over 40 sessions, earning quality CE along the way.
- A kick-off Thursday morning keynote speech by, Ian Coulter, PhD, from RAND Corporation who will speak on metaphysics and the role of vitalism in science.
- The Naturopathic Medical Student Association (NMSA) will once again host its annual conference in tandem with AANP 2019 and will hold their 2019 Annual NMSA Cup competition.
- The AANP annual election and award ceremony – which recognizes up and coming leaders, as well as the pioneers who built the profession’s foundation – will take place at the closing banquet of the Convention, the AANP Gala, on Saturday, August 17.
- Hands-on, in-depth post-con workshop opportunities.
Naturopathic medicine is steadily becoming a household name as more and more Americans turn away from sick care and move toward sustainable health care. Let’s celebrate where we’ve been, where we are today, and those who helped us get here! Learn more and register for AANP 2019 here.